We often make this recipe on the weekends. Serve with a fried egg on top and it really feels like a full meal. Always make extra to store in the refrigerator. It keeps for a week, and reheats really well in a frying pan.
Why are country fried potatoes great food for emergencies?
This is a great recipe for hearty vegetables like potatoes and onions that store well in a cool dark cupboard. Almost any vegetable can be added for color, flavor, and nutrition. The seasoning really brings this together and if the crowd is up to it you can add a little extra spice. If you have any in the refrigerator, or the garden, sprinkle a little chopped sage, basil, cilantro, or parsley on top.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2-4 Medium russet potatoes (Or any potatoes in a pinch)
- ½ Tbs Kosher salt
- ½ Tbs Cumin
- ¼ Tbs Garlic powder
- ¼ Tbs Paprika
- Vegetables - add fresh, canned, or reconstituted vegetables including bell peppers, onions, carrots, corn, etc.
- Meat - add any meat such as leftover steak, sausage or Spam.
- Garnish - chopped parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, sour cream, or shredded cheese.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Scrub, or peel, your potatoes then dice them into about ¼ inch slices.
- Once the potatoes are diced, rinse in a bowl of water several times, until the water is no longer starchy. Set aside to dry.
- In a small bowl combine salt, cumin, garlic powder, and paprika. Sprinkle over the potatoes and toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Chop up the vegetables and meat into small pieces.
- Warm a 12" skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium heat, and then add about two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the potatoes; shake the pan to evenly distribute the potatoes. Cover for 15 minutes, flipping the potatoes every five minutes. Always shake the pan to evenly distribute after each flip.
- While the potatoes are cooking sauté the vegetables and meat.
- Add the vegetables and meat to the potatoes. Cook covered for five minutes and uncovered for another five minutes.
- If you have eggs or toast you have a complete breakfast. Or simply serve in a bowl, sprinkled with fresh herbs or cheese if available.