The sandwich, taco, Masubi, these are all just, quite literally, handy foods. They're as easy to eat sitting down as they are standing or even walking. Masubi is a common mini meal from Hawaii.
While it can be made with a variety of savory toppings, I’ve found a nice short cut. Save time by buying Teriyaki flavored Spam. If you don’t have a Masubi press you could mold the rice into compressed bricks with your hands, being sure to wet your hands first. Just make sure they’re about the same size as the meat you’re layering over the rice.
Why is Masubi great for emergencies?
This is a really solid meal that can be made with rice, dried seaweed, and Spam. All three of these ingredients can sit on your shelf for years. You can make as little as one Masubi, or as many as you need.
Prep time 5 minutes (+ rice cooking time)
Cook time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
- 1 1/4' slice of Teriyaki Spam
- 1/2 Cup White short grain rice
- 1/2 Sheet Dried Nori
- Prepare your rice. You can make fresh rice, or take rice from the refrigerator, cover with a wet paper towel, and microwave for 1 minute.
- Slice the Spam into 1/4" slices. Any Spam you don't use can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
- Fry the Spam in a frying pan until both sides have a nice brown crust.
- Prepare the base of your Masubi by placing the warm rice into your Masubi press. Press it down with the top of the press.
- Push the rice out of the press, and place your Spam on top.
- Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. Enjoy!
Single Acrylic Musubi Press
If you're old school you can form the rice with your hand. This mold makes it so easy to make Masubi you'll make it for breakfast on a regular basis, like we do. Check it out on Amazon.com.
gimMe Organic Roasted Seaweed - Restaurant-style Sushi Nori Sheets
Make your own sushi rolls and Masubi with a bag of dried nori. Keep it in a Ziplock bag and it will easily stay fresh on your cupboard for a year. Check it out on Amazon.com.
Spam Luncheon Meat Can, Teriyaki, 12 Ounce (4 Count)
You can cook your Spam in a homemade sauce to make Masubi, but to create wam Masubi in minutes you need look no further than Teriyaki flavor. If you can't find Spam, it's here from Amazon.com. But seriously, it's not that hard to find Spam in a store.